Peace community, we’d love to share your self and/or community care offering. If you would like your event included in our weekly post, submit your complete listing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include date, time, event title, venue address, website links, detailed description, contact person information, and accessibility info. Thank you for being so bad ass and offering up healing deliciousness to our community!!!!
WEEK OF JANUARY 21
TUESDAY, JANUARY 22
- FREE, Building and Sustaining a Gay-Straight Alliance, meeting for students/school staff, 5PM-6:30PM
Interested in starting a Gay-Straight Alliance or similar student organization at your school? Do you have a GSA that is in need of a jumpstart for 2013? *Join members of NYQueer as we explore GSA best practices, ideas for programming and ways to support both students and staff in cultivating a LGBTQ-inclusive school community.This meeting is open to students and staff and students are strongly encouraged to participate! Contact Wazinabibi@gmail.com
- $10 Suggested Donation, Teleseminar: NOW is the Time: 5 Reasons to Follow Your Dreams in 2013
Have you been thinking about starting a business, writing a book, launching a ministry or shifting careers for some time, but haven’t moved on it? Life and Business Coach Isha Cogborn, author of the new book, “5 Rules to Win in the Business of Being You” wants to give you five compelling reasons why NOW is the time to take action and what you can do today ― no matter how little time, money or support you have.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 24
- $5 Suggested Donation: Occupy University Presents the People’s Reconstruction Series: “Community Response”, 7PM
The People’s Reconstruction is a series of three educational encounters at Bluestockings, organized by Occupy University in order to address issues related to Hurricane Sandy. Each event features a presentation, followed by a horizontal discussion, in order to provide space for people to collectively reflect on the politics of climate disaster in NYC. In the final event of this series, we ask what communities can do to address both the immediate threats and consequences of climate change as well as the systemic injustices that disasters like Sandy uncover.
- $10 Suggested Donation: queerAsana, 7:30PM
A queer, open level, donation based yoga class taught by Katy Pyle. Come learn and practice yoga asanas with homo music and your buddies in a queer-centric space.This open level class will focus on moving with clear alignment, physically and psychically, in order to create healthy movement patterns, increased flexibility, stronger muscles, and more clarity of mind.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 25
- FREE, Happy Hour Positions of Pleasure, 7PM
Everyone has a certain position they use most of the time, but it can get boring, right? At this cocktail party, we’ll show you new positions and reveal tips to make your current fave feel even better. Arrive early; the first ten guests will receive goodies to try out at home.
- Fee by donation, Dharma & Sangha: January Potluck, 7PM-9:30PM
The evening will begin with a 45-minute sitting period led by a New York Insight practice leader. Meditation instructions will be included. We will end the period with a poem or short reading and metta practice. The evening will continue with the sharing of our potluck contributions with each other and will offer plenty of time to meet and connect.Please bring a vegetarian offering to share and what you’d like to drink. All offerings are welcome.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26
- $15, Cumbe First Anniversary and Full Moon Celebration, 7:30PM-1AM
Come celebrate a wonderful first year together with an evening of music and dancing. The night begins with three half-hour dance workshops led by artistic director Pat Hall, Yesenia Selier , and Funmilayo Chesney; and culminates in a dance jam to irresistible grooves by percussion powerhouse band, Heritage O.P. Don’t miss this special blend of birthday party + Pat Hall’s beloved Full Moon Celebration!
- $10, Queer Sangha, 1PM-2:30PM
Queer Sangha serves the gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight and transgender community by offering Buddhist teachings and meditation practice in a safe and inclusive environment. We are dedicated to providing you with a diverse and practical experience of the dharma by sharing it in a way that is accessible and relates to our modern day circumstances and unique social position as members of a sexual minority group.Together we explore issues of queer identity, gender, LGBT civil rights, and how all of this relates to the dharma. Meetings involve meditation practice, dharma talks, experiential exercises, and social events. Both beginners and the Buddhist-curious are very welcome, as are experienced practitioners.
- $10, Cultural Freedom, 9PM-1AM
Art Music Film Featuring performances by Malene Younglao, Storyboard P, (i am) isis, Amari Rebel, Hakim Green and more.Flim screenings by Terrence Nance, Akintola Hanif, trustfund collective, Cinque Northern and others.Live painting by Baja Ukweli.
- $10 So Hum Yoga Tuesdays with Ola Ronke
- Donation Based dance classes at Liberated Movement, different classes everyday
- Donation Based Yoga classes at Yoga to the People
- Donation Based Yoga classes at Brooklyn Yoga School
- Donation based Mediation sits
- Donation based Intro to Meditation with Interdependence Project
- $45/hr for full body massage $40/hr for foot reflexology treatment at Heaven Foot Reflexology Acupressure
- Donation-based Community Acupuncture with Third Root
- $45/hr for full body with Lily and Raul
- FREE Harm Reduction Workshops
- Peace of Mind Support Group, support group for unemployed, under-employed, self employed and freelancers seeking structure, community and accountability
- FREE Nonviolent communication workshop on Mondays